Re: On naming taxa

Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

This is not even a "problem" in zoological nomenclature. Greg Paul named a
number of theropod taxa from new species on up in Predatory Dinosaurs of the
World. Although a few people got worked up about this initially and made a
problem out of it where there was none, his book is now considered part of
the paleo literature and some of his taxa remain in use.

I think it is a "problem". I enjoyed Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, but I should point out that most of Gregory Paul's new species never recieved acceptance. Aublysodon molnari and Albertosaurus megagracilis were based on evidence that was not strong - and were never really given a good diagnosis (like Acrocanthosaurus altispinax).

Dr Paul's new combinations (e.g. referring Shanshanosaurus huoyanshanensis to Aublysodon and referring Yangchuanosaurus shangyanouensis to Metriacanthosaurus) were also not well supported and have only caused confusion since.

ZH