Re: On naming taxa

In a message dated 5/23/01 12:27:00 PM EST, z_heraklides@hotmail.com writes:

<< I think it is a "problem". I enjoyed Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, but
 should point out that most of Gregory Paul's new species never recieved
 acceptance. Aublysodon molnari and Albertosaurus megagracilis were based on
 evidence that was not strong - and were never really given a good diagnosis
 (like Acrocanthosaurus altispinax).>>

Well, I certainly accepted these three taxa(!). I should also point out that
even the genus Tyrannosaurus hasn't yet been given a good diagnosis, although
I'm pretty certain people are working on the problem. Right now, its
diagnosis seems to be "big tyrannosaurid from the Maastrichtian of North
America." At least, any dinosaur that presently satisfies these criteria is
automatically and uncritically referred to the genus Tyrannosaurus (indeed,
to the species T. rex).

<< Dr Paul's new combinations (e.g. referring Shanshanosaurus huoyanshanensis
 to Aublysodon and referring Yangchuanosaurus shangyanouensis to
 Metriacanthosaurus) were also not well supported and have only caused
 confusion since. >>

The problem of whether or not taxa are valid is quite distinct from the
problems that would be caused by mandatory taxon registration. I would rather
have Greg's nomenclature in print than suppressed by some reviewer's fiat,
for example. Not to mention that the act of registration cannot possibly
guarantee that a registered taxon would also be a >valid< taxon. The only
positive aspects of mandatory taxon registration would be the somewhat faster
dissemination of the news of the arrival of new taxa and the existence of a
database of taxa that might be checked for preoccupied names and so forth.
Both of these functions can be done (and indeed are already being done by
BIOSYS) without becoming part of the formal code of zoological nomenclature.