Re: A long post about DUMB METATHERIANS vs EVIL, SMART PLACENTALS

<I put up 500,000 black dots and 500,000 red dots on my board.  I have a
cannon that fires 500,000 bullets at once.  Each bullet must hit either a
red or a black dot--but it must hit a dot.  Surely I'll have 250,000 of
_each_ left over.>

You might have 250,000 of each left over or you might have 500,000 red dots
or 500,000 black dots left over, or some result in between, assuming that
what color the cannon hits is purely random.  If I flip a coin 10 times
there's a chance I'll get 10 heads in a row.  In fact, if I flip a coin long
enough, I guarantee you I'll get 10 heads in a row at some point.
A college professor gave his probability students the assignment of flipping
a coin a certain number of times and recording the results, or just
pretending they flipped the coin and inventing the results.  Each student's
choice.  When they turned in their papers, he looked at them and guessed
who'd actually flipped the coin and who'd faked it near perfectly.  The fake
ones didn't have enough flukes.
Random produces flukes, unfortunately.