Re: Would the Real Dromaeosaur please walk thru the door?

>Ratites aren't smart, either, despite varied diet, so perhaps my
>generalization has a problem, but I think it holds for the most part --
>do ratites vary their feeding *environment* much?

Point taken. Ratites will vary their diet slightly in the wild, I would assume,
in accordance with environmental changes. But they are pathetically high-
maintanence in captivity, and their diets have to be so strict and unchangeable
because the big birds can't handle stress very well. Their feathers fall out
and
they become panic-stricken. And that is far from a generalization. My concern
for
the previous statements was that you appeared to be lumping even high-metabolic
animals like the big cats together in your idea of carnivores being
not-so-smart.
Cats are among the most intelligent hunters on earth. But even birds are
smarter
than most people give them credit, outside of ornithology. My only problem was
with any type of statement demeaning carnivore intelligence. Sure, Velociraptor
probably wasn't able to pick a lock. But organized hunting tactics, I believe
was
a fundamental asset, as is with most group hunters.

--
Get your firstname@lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su