Re: Late K volcanism (was RE: causes of K-T ferns)

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:32:43AM -0500, King, Norm R scripsit:
> -----Original Message----- From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> [mailto:tholtz@geol.umd.edu] Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 7:31 AM
> >That being said, it is becoming a bit annoying that there is evidence
> >associating impacts and big flood basalt events in the
> >Permo-Triassic, the Triassic-Jurassic, and the K-T boundaries.
> >(Anyone know of any good evidence for impacts associated with the
> >Columbia Flood Basalts or the Snake River extrusives?).
>
> As I have suggested before in different contexts, one can conjure up
> evidence for nearly any proposition one wishes to defend.  Just study
> the records of certain court proceedings, if you are not convinced of
> that.  I think that if there were indications of vast outpourings of
> flood basalts in the Middle Cambrian, somebody would claim to have
> evidence for an impact at the same time.

I would have thought that the least hypothesis is that, given that we
*notice* these events by changes in the fossil record, mass extinctions
happen when there happens to be a major impact during a period of flood
vulcanism.

--
                           graydon@dsl.ca
               To maintain the end is to uphold the means.