Re: On naming taxa

In a message dated 5/25/01 1:14:53 AM EST, KiernanCR@aol.com writes:

<< No, it shouldn't have. The species was clearly a nomen dubium and adding
 another name to the literature only complicated the problem. Noting that it
 was, in fact, a nomen dubium, was all that was required. >>

The species Iguanodon exogyrarum was made the type species of the new genus
Procerosaurus by Fritsch in 1905. Procerosaurus, however, is preoccupied by
Procerosaurus Von Huene 1902, and this situation cannot stand according to
ICZN rules. A suitable genus >must< be created or substituted for the
preoccupied genus, and Iguanodon is not suitable. Whether the type species is
a nomen dubium is not a >nomenclatural< problem, which the generic name
Ponerosteus corrects.

The genus Procerosaurus Fritsch 1905 had been preoccupied for 95 years and
nobody did anything about it until I came along. Whether or not you think
this is a contribution is not my business.