Re: On naming taxa

In a message dated 5/24/01 11:14:43 PM EST, KiernanCR@aol.com writes:

<< While I have plenty of problems of my own with Phylocode, I don't think
requiring that new names be published in refereed publications is a bad idea.

One of the reasons I dislike publishing in refereed journals is simply that
they don't pay. Rather, >I< would have to pay, in many cases. Part of what I
do for a living is write, and I can't afford to make donations in the form of
the serious and tedious writing that a journal article requires. Heck, it
takes me months just to find the spare time in which to write for my own
websites. Things would be entirely different if I were a salaried
professional scientist part of whose job is to write for the journals, but
for many reasons I won't go into right now, I never wanted to be one.

A couple of decades ago, when I compiled my first dinosaur genera list (in
Mesozoic Meanderings #1), I noticed that several species were being carried
around in genera to which they obviously didn't belong, as well as a few
other taxonomic and nomenclatural irregularities. So when I produced MM #2, I
created a few genera for those species and fixed up the irregularities.
Didn't need referees; there is no need to burden the serious journals with
these kinds of trivia, especially when I can sell my publications and thereby
pay myself something for my research while at the same time fixing up
dinosaur nomenclature.

My "dinosaur rectification program" concluded in MM #3 (first printing),
wherein I created the genus Ponerosteus for the species Iguanodon exogyrarum.
The material is very poor  (a ?marrow endocast of a large ?tibia[!]) and the
species really should not have been created at all, but since the species
does exist, it should certainly not be referred to the genus Iguanodon, with
which it has nothing in common, nor can it be made the type species of the
genus Procerosaurus, which is preoccupied. (Ponerosteus means "bad bone" and
refers to the quality of the specimen.) And so much for that.

By the way, tell us sometime about the problems you have with the PhyloCode.