Re: On naming taxa

George Olshevsky (dinogeorge@aol.com) wrote:

<How about, "Sorry, you published your taxonomic names in a
non-refereed publication. We can no longer register such names,
and so your names will not become part of the scientific
literature." A parallel situation, regarding ethnic groups
rather than taxonomy, occurred in Nazi Germany during the 1930s,
need I remind everyone?>

  1) the difference between a referee and a reviewer is that the
first is an objective opinion that influences work, or that's
how it seems. Sometimes its the publisher that sets the standard
and not the peer-review....

  2) there still is the idea here that for some reason, a name
will get rejected because someone doesn't like it, or how it
sounds, or its named wrong. Maybe this is true, maybe not. I
have a name or two to add to the literature, that I think might
apply, but if a few reviewers said they thought it might be
wiser to do more work or something to improve the paper, I
wouldn't publish it. If there's some real biased opposition,
there must be fail-safes that prevent that reviewer from
controlling the issue, right?

=====
Jaime A. Headden