CORRECTION Re: CORRECTION...

> Well, all I can say is that it obviously did survive, somehow :-)  As Ken
mentioned, some bats can reach really small sizes, and the same is true for
some rodents, particularly shrews.

Well, shrews are Real True Insectivores (now called Eulipotyphla) like
hedgehogs, moles and *Solenodon*, phylogenetically far from rodents (mice,
rats, squirrels, porcupines, guinea pigs...). According to the geneticists
rodents are even closer to us than to shrews, and shrews are closer to
horses (both belong to the ill-named Laurasiatheria) than to rodents.

> So, either this little new guy was an ectotherm, or it was an early
endotherm mammal with a very fast heartrate and very high metabolism.  I
wouldn't at all be surprised if it turned out to be ectothermic, which may
say a lot about the origins of endothermy in mammals (which may have
re-evolved).

Was it actually adult? (Newborn shrews, and lots of other newborns, are
indeed ectothermic, so that they don't need to boost their terribly high
metabolism even further.) However, _Suncus etruscus_ is well endothermic,
and (even more) so are hummingbirds (which reach even smaller sizes).

Can't wait for the paper...