From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Subject: Re: On naming taxa
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:12:02 +0200

> In a message dated 5/25/01 1:18:26 AM EST, KiernanCR@aol.com writes:
>
> << It doesn't do your position any service, burdening it was absurd
> analogies,
> likening those who would have taxonomic names registered to Nazis (??!).
>>

> The situation is ominously similar, though of course the consequences in
the
> case of taxonomy are not nearly as dire. Nevertheless, registration is the
> first step down the road to Hell.

"Oh, what a circus, oh, what a show..."
:-)
_Please_, HPs, _*read*_ the page on registration procedures,
http://www.ohiou.edu/phylocode/appendixA.html, before making comments about
how evil database administrators would require publication in a
peer-reviewed journal. This is not true. You can send in the name for
registration before the paper is even accepted for publication by whatever
journal/book/..., and as soon as you submit that the paper has been
accepted, a registration number will be given. Nobody in the
not-yet-existing ICPN will ever look whether the name is based on scrap. All
they'll do is warn you if the name or (for clades) the definition already
exists.

According to the page before, http://www.ohiou.edu/phylocode/table1.html,
botanists already have registration, the BioCode will have it (if it is ever
implemented), and bacteriologists have it, too, just that they call it
validation. Hell has, AFAIK, not yet broken loose there.