Re: On naming taxa

In a message dated 5/25/01 11:01:15 PM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< Making a name for what is essentially garbage is like saying
 its okay to make names for fossil material that cannot in anyway
 carry diagnostic references and be distinguished -- or referred
 -- to/from any other taxa. I may be wrong, but the reason some
 taxa have the term _nomen dubium_ attached to them is because of
 the lack of any means of differentiation. *Prodeinodon* is a
 good example.... Mickey Mortimer recent wrote on Panteleyev's
 most recent fossil birds based for the most part on coracoid _fragments_. >>

As I said before, it's too bad the fossil was given a species name to begin
with, but since it has, it might as well be in a genus that goes along with
what we know of it. Not Iguanodon, not a preoccupied genus.