Re: Longipteryx chaoyangensis (Aves, Enantiornithes?)

  Chris Collinson (chris_collinson@hotmail.com) writes to
suggest to me that this bird is a possible juvenile, thus the
lack of "true" feathers is ontogenetic.

  My impression of the fossil is that it is adult: short
hindlimbs in reference to the thorax, the definition of the
manus and carpal elements is well-ossified, and the head is
small with adult-appearing condition of the form of the elements
that I can see; uncinates, if truly preserved, appear during
fledging in birds, for the most part when they ossify. I may be
wrong, but this specimens seems to have died when it was fairly mature.

=====
Jaime A. Headden