Re: Longipteryx chaoyangensis (Aves, Enantiornithes?)

<Might more prep work (removal of half a millimeter of matrix or
so) reveal wing feathers?>

  I doubt it. Marylin Weweiser kindly supplied the rest of the
facts referring to preservation on a single plane in
lägerstatten; there is little way that the feathers would be
preserved in a separate plane than the covering "fuzz" that we
see now. Some fossil slabs that split at the inclusion do not
always reveal all the integument, but have to be prepped around
the bones to find it. Unlike the bones, the integument _is_
preserved on a single plane. Also, unlike _Protarchaeopteryx_,
there is no more matrix covering the material (very good prep
job, actually) to obscure it unless that's what I'm seeing
between ribs that's a motley blue-gray.

  There is very fine preservation of sternal ribs,
lateroposterior sternal processes with expanded distal ends, a
very long hypocleidium, uncinate processes (five in a row). The
slab, so that everyone knows, is broken off in the tail in the
counterslab (IVPP V.12325.II), and this makes identification
shaky -- there _could_ be a broken pygostyle....

  Based on the Chinese version of the paper, this specimen
really does appear to be a bird, a pygostylian if I'm not
mistaken, and very possibly (and yes, another one, goshdurnit)
an enantiornithine from Liaoning.... I second Josh Smith, they
really need to do a correlated stratigraphy of the Jehol
sites....

=====
Jaime A. Headden