Fwd: our fields cross (somewhat!)

Hello gang,

My very good molecular biologist-type friend just sent me the following
blurb. I think that some might find it _interesting_! I'm trying to get a
copy of the full paper as we speak.
Enjoy!

Tom

> The isolation and detection of non-collagenous proteins from the compact
>  bone of the dinosaur iguanodon.
>
>  Connect Tissue Res 2000;41(3):249-59.;Connect Tissue Res 2000;41(3):249-59
>  Department of Basic Dental Science, Dental School, University of Wales
>  College of Medicine, Cardiff, CF4 4XY.
>
>  This report describes the isolation of guanidinium chloride extractable
>  protein from demineralised bone extracts obtained from the 125-130 mya
>  dinosaur Iguanodon. Protein products were isolated in the Mr. range
>  5,000-66,000 using SDS-PAGE and represent the first electrophoretically
>  defined proteins isolated from dinosaur tissues. The levels of glycine,
>  aspartate and serine tentatively suggest the presence of phosphoproteins.
>  Hydroxylysine and hydroxyproline were not detected, confirming the presence
>  of non-collagenous material. In addition the absence of ornithine confirmed
>  lack of bacterial contamination. The relatively high level of leucine in
the
>  2MNaCl NaCl fractions together with the abolition of alcian blue reactivity
>  following protease-free chondroitinase digestion suggests the presence of
>  proteoglycans. The study is of interest in describing the early proteins
>  laid down in mineralised tissues for epitactic crystal growth and may
>  provide evidence on evolutionary aspects of bone proteins.

Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies
Tompaleo@aol.com

--- Begin Message ---
[...]

Paul L. DeAngelis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Univ. of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
940 Stanton L. Young Blvd.; BMSB 853
Oklahoma City, OK   73104, USA
Phone:  (405) 271-2227 x1210;  Fax: 271-3092
Email:  paul-deangelis@ouhsc.edu
WWW:        http://w3.ouhsc.edu/biochem/deangelis.htm

--- End Message ---