Re: Longipteryx chaoyangensis (Aves, Enantiornithes?)

At 18:49 27/05/2001, Jaime A. Headden wrote:

<Might more prep work (removal of half a millimeter of matrix or
so) reveal wing feathers?>

  I doubt it. Marylin Weweiser kindly supplied the rest of the
facts referring to preservation on a single plane in
l=E4gerstatten; there is little way that the feathers would be
preserved in a separate plane than the covering "fuzz" that we
see now. Some fossil slabs that split at the inclusion do not
always reveal all the integument, but have to be prepped around
the bones to find it. Unlike the bones, the integument _is_
preserved on a single plane.

  Based on the Chinese version of the paper, this specimen
really does appear to be a bird, a pygostylian if I'm not
mistaken, and very possibly (and yes, another one, goshdurnit)
an enantiornithine from Liaoning....

If it appears to be a (flight capable) bird from the skeleton, and has=20 preserved with integument, but the preservation shows it as "fuzz", is it=20 possible that what we have is the decayed remains of flight-capable=20 feathers? That "fuzz" is one of the less well preserved modes for feathers?

If so, this would have significant implications for the interpretation of=20
other specimens bearing "fuzz" which might also have had feathers in life.

-- Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"