Re: Longipteryx chaoyangensis (Aves, Enantiornithes?)

Neil F. Taylor (nf.taylor@ntlworld.com) wrote:

<If it appears to be a (flight capable) bird from the skeleton,
and has [been] preserved with integument, but the preservation
shows it as "fuzz", is it possible that what we have is the
decayed remains of flight-capable feathers? That "fuzz" is one
of the less well preserved modes for feathers?>

  Unlikely. Similar sediments of the same state of preservation
(ash-laden lägerstatten from around the Jehol biota and extend
of the Jehol Group) show several birds with complete remiges and
retrices, and *Confuciusornis* has both "fuzz" on it's body as
well as true feathers and unsual retrices which lack partitioned
vanes. However, I find the idea (dismissed at first, put forward
by HP's David Marjanovic and Mickey Mortimer) that the animal is
moulting is not improbable.

=====
Jaime A. Headden