Re: Longipteryx chaoyangensis (Aves, Enantiornithes?)

"ptnorton" <ptnorton@email.msn.com> writes:

I would think the flight feathers would most likely be the last to separate because they are anchored very firmly to bone. Countour feathers are anchored only in the integument and would therefore fall away as the the tissue decomposed.

I agree with you. But...

I think some early birds lack quill nodes on the ulna - like Archaeopteryx. Rahonavis though has them. I think this character (presence/absence of quill nodes) is variable in modern birds.

ZH