Re: Some thoughts on AVES

In a message dated Fri, 2 Nov 2001  8:16:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
"Demetrios M Vital" <vita0015@umn.edu> writes:

> Can you pinoint the exact time in history when that adaptation occurred?

Fortunately, I don't have to.  We only have to classify the specimens we
actually discover.  For this reason, abstract apomorphy-based definitions like
the one I gave do not bother me overly much.

> That idea assumes an over-night acqusition of an adaptation.

Not necessarily (see above).  And besides, any adaptation, if defined strictly
enough, must indeed have been acquired overnight.

--Nick P.