Re: Syntarsus feathers

Well, despite some of the drawings I have done in the past for fun, I think the reality is that _Coelophysis_ and its relatives didn't have feathers. By use of inference and phylogenetic bracketing, we can look at _Herrerasaurus_ (which has t-shaped neural arches, often associated with the support of dermal ossicles), _Ceratosaurus_, and _Carnotaurus_, which both have scutes, and say that other ceratosaurs probably had scutes, and lacked feathers (though, admitadly, the two are not mutually exclusive). There are also apparently little, paper-thin round "scutes" that occasionally appear in Ghost Ranch blocks...
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
Northern Arizona University