Re: Some thoughts on AVES

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 11:03 PM

> There are numerous completely definable morphological
> features found only in selective groups of extant mammals, including
descended testicles (not in
> Afrotheria or Xenarthra+Pholidota, or even "insectivores"; it is an
advanced eutherian adaptation,
> even if afrotheres reversed the polarity to the basal condition in their
ancestry rather than
> inheriting it forthwith).

Afrotheres must have reversed it, as marsupials have the "advanced"
condition (interpreted as an adaptation to galloping). Kangaroos famously
retract theirs before kickboxing. Xenarthra + Pholidota (Edentata) is
polyphyletic according to every single molecular analysis AFAIK.

Re "veloci-vulture": I just wrote I couldn't find the author's name. Sorry,
a name and e-mail address can be found at
http://www.seismosaur.com/Seismo5.html. Most of the rest of the site isn't
as bad as the page on "raptors", but the page on evolution writes IIRC wrong
things about the atheist Darwin. The page on coprolites mentions
"turpines"... that are terpenes, I think.

Now I finally go to bed... :-O