Re: galloping indricotherium

In a message dated 11/4/01 12:37:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kinman@hotmail.com writes:

<< I'm sure it could gallop, like any other rhino.  And if a giraffe can
gallop at 25 miles an hour, I bet Indricotherium could probably gallop that
fast, if not faster.  But I guess it would only gallop that fast in
emergencies, like trying to avoid a dangerous predator (especially a pack of
hungry carnivores). >>

Can elephants gallop? Surely that would be a closer comparison, given how
much larger Indricotherium was than most rhinos. My first reaction to this
question was, even if they COULD gallop, why would they bother? I don't know
of anything that could have preyed on them routinely (at least, not on
healthy adults).

OFF ON A TANGENT: I seem to recall a move to rename this beast
"Paraceratherium" some years ago--did it not "take"?

Chip