Re: Discussed name--good Latin over eye candy

Good Latin over eye candy
From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org

I have to put my vote in for "nomen ex/in dissertatione"--
either version of this phrase is grammatically OK, and
accurately expresses the idea of a name derived from a
dissertation. Buffetaut's suggested nomen dissertationis
would mean "name of a dissertation" as far as I can
determine, which is not what is needed--I'm at a loss as
to how this combination is supposed to mean "discussed
name," which would require an adjective or past participle
in the neuter nominative case, not a singular genitive. In
choosing a new Latin term, good grammar should win out
over supposed aesthetic superiority. Does Buffetaut have a
source to cite for this apparent oddity?  I would point
out that the phrase "ex dissertatione" is widely used as
in excerpta ex dissertatione "excerpts from a
dissertation," etc. The phrase nomen dissertatum is less
clear in meaning than nomen ex dissertatione, and
conceivably could be read to mean a name under discussion
or even a disputed name rather a name found in a
dissertation.