Re: Discussed name--good Latin over eye candy

In a message dated 11/5/01 1:13:50 AM EST, bh480@scn.org writes:

<< Does Buffetaut have a source to cite for this apparent oddity?  I would
point out that the phrase "ex dissertatione" is widely used as in excerpta ex
dissertatione "excerpts from a dissertation," etc. The phrase nomen
dissertatum is less clear in meaning than nomen ex dissertatione, and
conceivably could be read to mean a name under discussion or even a disputed
name rather a name found in a  dissertation. >>

Buffetaut also suggested nomen ex dissertatione, but I liked the two-word
phrase better because it fits with the other two-word phrases that name
categories of names. (I think he suggested nomen dissertationis, not nomen
dissertatum, which was one of the terms suggested by David Marjanovic.) It is
odd that a language as compact as Latin presents so much trouble with a
direct translation of the English term "dissertation name." While this term
parses ambiguously, it is no stretch to consider it a shorthand expression
for "name in a dissertation." Why would there be no two-word Latin
equivalent? That is, why couldn't nomen dissertationis be parsed as
"dissertation name"?