Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #176

>As I perused the dissertation, I got to thinking about whether or not
such dissertation names should be considered as published. The
International Code of Zoological >Nomenclature expressly excludes
dissertations from their definition of a publication, so there is no
question that the above taxa, despite their documentation in the
dissertation and its subsequent distribution, are not available as
scientific names.

This is a purely anglosaxon idea. At least in Europe dissertations have
always been properly published and counted as peer-reviewed
publications. As a matter of fact in most european countries no
publication you ever write is likely to be as carefully reviewed as your
dissertation.
There is any number of scientific name in use that were originally
published in dissertations.

Tommy Tyrberg