MARTIN ON FEATHERED THEROPODS etc

As some of you are aware, there are rumours floating around that, at
SVP Bozeman, Larry Martin did identify the apparent remiges of the
new AMNH Yixian dromaeosaur as, well, remiges. I recently read the
transcribed text from the roundtable discussions reproduced in the
special avian palaeontology volume (vol. 89) of  _Smithsonian
Contributions to Paleobiology_. In it Martin states that he now feels
there is some support for what he calls the 'Paulian' view of theropod-
bird evolution. Note that the term 'Paulian' is now is print. Martin
notes that the Paulian view would be well supported _if_ a Cretaceous
maniraptoran with elongate remiges were to be found. Thus the burden
is on the AMNH crew (plus Zhonghe Zhou et al of course) to
definitively demonstrate the presence of prominent remiges in a Yixian
specimen (ok, you might argue that they've already done this, but it
needs to be unarguable).

While I'm here I'd like to mention a few others things. Nick L's
mention of _Dromaeosaurus_ postcrania is not a reference to the
material described by Colbert and Russell - it's something new. Nick,
are you going to let the proverbial cat out of the bag? And
oviraptorosaurs: also at SVP I know that a new oviraptorid taxon was
on display, apparently casts were for sale. I have examined one and it is
certainly something new. The rostral border of the premax is near-
vertical, the crest is tall, uniquely curved forward and quite narrow
craniocaudally, the bar of the postorbital is relatively robust and there
is a sagittal crest. Dentary very deep but cervicals were not well
preserved (though distinctive 'X- shape of pre- and postzygs clear).
Skull approx. 150 mm long.

Back to the _Aristosuchus_ MS...

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244
                                       www.palaeobiology.co.uk