RE: A.jimmadseni

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Darryl Jones
At 08:28 AM 11/6/2001, you wrote:
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Chris Collinson

> Is there any possibility that any of the material originally assigned to A.fragilis, but is of the A.atrox morph, will be
> reassigned to A.jimmadseni?

Let's just WAIT UNTIL THE PAPER (monograph in this case) IS PUBLISHED, SHALL WE?

 > Does this mean that I should hold off on buying a copy of the dissertation?  Is there a chance of it being published
> soon?  I don't know if I am being impatient or curious.  I would really like to see more about the new allosaur. I
> remember reading about it being found (sans head) in the Dino Times.  Even then it was touted as being a very
> important specimen.

Although you should feel free to buy a copy of the dissertation, remember that that work is not as "finished" a product as the final document will be (heaven's knows I said things in mine that cause me to shudder... :-S).

The final document WILL be out within the space of months rather than years; Chure is going through the copious comments provided by both reviewers.  Because of those comments, some names might not be the same in the final product as in the disseration, for a possibility.

 >  I think much of the fascination is because so many of us are out of "the loop".  We hear little reports and it makes
> us  curious.  I know that scientists talk about the specimens they have, what they mean, how they are new, etc. in
> the  pub when they get together.  Unfortunately for us on the list, this is our equivalent to doing that.  Conversations
> in  the pub don't go any further than that because the parties involved understand how it works.  Because of our
> archive, we don't have that same ability.  I have been "waiting for the paper" on a great many things for a long time
> now.

You are far from the only one!!!  It is part of the profession.  It is the part of ALL professions.

>   It is frustrating to do this.  I only have sneak peeks at information and even though new information is "well
> known" (as can be seen in informal reports ie. Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus are distinct, shown by information
> that  Phil Currie has from a specimen from 1981, but we still await a paper on the topic), I still have to wait for
> publications for this "accepted" (mostly) information.  I do understand and respect the process.  I am willing, if not
> happy, to wait for good science to be done. I just find it frustrating.  But I am happy...... Really..... I have learned to
> love waiting......
As well you should.  Part of having a more mature attitude about the science is being able to act like a grown-up.  Sad to say, that means waiting for Christmas morning to open your presents, or even putting off until the next Christmas or the one after that for some really big presents.

And there are some really important stuff that have been in the pipeline longer than lifetimes: the osteology of Scelidosaurus, for instance...

                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
Department of Geology           Director, Earth, Life & Time Program
University of Maryland          College Park Scholars
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Phone:  301-405-4084    Email:  tholtz@geol.umd.edu
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796