RE: 300 MY old Cockroach Fossil Found

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:59:29
 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
>Here is the url for the GSA abstract.  Note that the giant roach is NOT
>_Arthropleura_ (which is a millipede), but is presumably the new genus &
>species of insect.
>
>http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2001AM/finalprogram/abstract_29041.htm

Ah, thanks for clarifying.  I was going to question the whole Arthropleura
thing, too.  Arthropleura was big-really big-but a little too morphologically
different to call a cockroach.

It is nice to see that some Pennsylvanian work is getting some press, even
though it appears as if Reuters or whatever screwed part of it up.  The 7-11
mine has been producing some very nice specimens, and I'm happy to see Cary
Easterday is publishing some of his work.  This is a very, very important
Lower-Middle Pennsylvanian site that preserves a whole bunch of insects.  along
with other interesting stuff.  It's also gratifying to see that Mr. Easterday
is using the fossils to interpret changing-environment hypotheses, the same
exact thing I am doing in relation to Upper Pennsylvanian sites here in
Illinois.  No mega bugs here yet, but a steady supply of really interesting
brachiopods.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY