Re: Tr-J

Title: Re: Tr-J
Rob (and anyone else who cares.....)

the probable ornithiscian Trisauropodiscus is known from the Stromberg Triassic and the early Jurassic of the SW US.<
Did I miss this original post?

(nope. It was an answer to a question resulting from my SVP poster....)

Anywho, can anyone give a ref for this?

Ellenberger, P. 1972. Contribution à la classification des Pistes de Vertébrés du Trias: Les types du Stormberg d'Afrique du Sud (I). Palaeovertebrata 104.

Ellenberger, P. 1974. Contribution à la classification des Pistes de Vertébrés du Trias: Les types du Stormberg d'Afrique du Sud (II). Palaeovertebrata 141.

Rainforth, E.C. 2001. Late Triassic - Early Jurassic dinosaur ichnofaunas, eastern North America and southern Africa. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 21:91A. (poster is at http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~emmar/research/JVP2191.html)
:-)

According to Ellenberger, Trisauropodiscus is from the Upper Molteno and Lower Elliot fms, both of which are Triassic. A track resembling it, T. moabensis, is from the Navajo Ss of southern Utah.

Lets all remember, that ichnotaxa are FORM taxa. An ichnospecies can quite happily correspond to a skeletal family (yuk, well, what I mean is, a higher-than-genus-level taxon.....). Feet are ridiculously conservative and don't change a whole heck of a lot. A long-ranging ichnogenus or ichnospecies simply means that there were critters running around that had similar FEET.

emma