Re: fossils in Texas?

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:03:53
 Afmayor wrote:
>Can anyone advise what sort of fossil bone deposits are  found in the
>vicinity of Abilene, Texas?
>
>Fossilized bone powder has been found in some paleo-Indian sites there, and
>I'd like to identify the possibile types of fossils the residents may have
>found.

Well, I believe Abilene is located in an area where Permian rocks outcrop
frequently, along with a few isolated Late Cretaceous outcrops.  I would say
that your best chance would be something Permian.  There are a lot of Permian
amphibians and reptiles known from Texas, including some cotylosaurs and
pelycosaurs.  If, however, these bones had a dinosaurian origin, then it could
be any number of things (sauropods, ornithopods, ankylosaurs, or possible
theropods).  Although I don't know of any references off the top of my head,
I'm sure there are many, many papers out there on the Abilene area.  If not, I
would think that any good summary of the Permian Red Beds would suffice.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob