From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Morgan Churchill
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 6:46 PM
To: Dinosaur Mailing list
Subject: Re: _Karongasaurus_?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Karongasaurus is a misprint, and is actually suppose to be Karongasuchus, a crocodile illustrated in the picture.  Malawisaurus  (sp?) is the sauropod in the picture <<

Well, since you asked…you are wrong : ) Malawisuchus is the crocodile I wonder if the name Karongasaurus was the first name for Malawisaurus? It was found in the Karonga district, which might be were the name came from. I suppose the people to ask is either Carr or Jacobs.

Genus: Malawisuchus GOMANI, 1997

Etymology: In reference to the country of Malawi, and Greek, suchos, “crocodile”: Malawi crocodile.

Species: mwaksyungutiensis GOMANI, 1997

Etymology: In reference to the area of Mwakasyunguti where the species was found in northern Malawi.

Holotype: Mal-45

Locality: Koum Basin of Cameroon, Dinosaur beds, Mwakasyunguti, Karonga District, Northern Malawi, Africa.