Re: Lusodinos Site

It's good to have this site on-line again.

T. Mike Keesey wrote at 11/13/2001:

> What's this about _Archaeopteryx_ remains in Portugal? Did I miss something?

So far only teeth (AFAIK).

Adam Yates wrote about this in http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/1998NOV/MSG00236.HTM about it.

>> There is one recent paper in Palaontologische Zeitschrift that I am suprised
no-one has mentioned in this discussion - perhaps the journal is real hard
to find in the US ;)
Anyway Jens Zinke describes the theropod fauna from the Guimarota
microvertebrate locality in Portugal.It is dated as early Kimmeridgian so it
is pre - Solnhofen (just).  Only teeth are known but they include
Archaeopteryx, Compsognathus,a velociraptorine, a dromaeosaurine,a probable
troodontid, a probable tyrranosaurid, a probable allosaurid and something
akin to Richardoestia. Now I know some might say teeth.  If you don't
believe in tooth identifications you would have to explain why the tooth
characters that can be used to diagnose K coelurosaur groups suddenly no
longer diagnose these groups when you dip below the J-K boundary. Another
interesting point is that Archaeopteryx and Compsognathus are by far the
most common taxa in the assemblage. This suggests that the paltry handfull
of theropod skeletons in the Solnhoffen are only the most common elements of
a more diverse small theropod fauna running around the late Jurassic of
Europe. Perhaps one day we will find a troodontid or velociraptorine at
Solnhofen.

The ref is:

Zinke, J. 1998. Small theropod teeth from the Upper Jurassic coal mine of
Guimarota (Portugal). Palaontologische Zeitschrift 72: 179-189.>>