Re: dinosaur digestion

Brian Buck wrote at 14/11/2001:

> > I also recall reading about how some researchers are puzzled over the ability of the environment to support such large plant eaters(especially if they were warm blooded). Could it be possible that dinosaurs were able to digest their food more efficently than mammals? <<

I don't know about the efficiency of food digestion in sauropods. But ecosystems may have supported such large animals simply because actual numbers of adult giant sauropods may have been rather low.

Gregory Paul wote about this in Dinosaur Eggs and Babies:
"Dinosaur populations may have consisted mostly of posthatchling juveniles ..."
"Low population levels of adult dinosaurs enabled individual adults to consume relatively large portions of the available resource base, thereby becoming larger than mammals."