Re: A sad day in Paleontology

> As a kid, Colbert's books were among the things that
> led me to paleontology -
> A FOSSIL-HUNTER'S NOTEBOOK, THE DINOSAUR BOOK,
> WANDERING LANDS AND ANIMALS,
> MEN AND DINOSAURS, etc.

Sad- but he seems to have led a full successful life.
Edwin Colbert's books were indeed the most fascinating
books by Western paleontologists I had access to when
I was 11 or so (some time in 1986). These books were
'The Age of Reptiles' (I don't know how many times I
read it, gradually understanding more with each
reading) and the textbook-like 'Evolution of the
Vertebrates (?)'. Colbert's breadth of knowledge was
enviable- well illustrated books and clarified anatomy
so well to the young readers. Alfred Romer's osteology
of reptiles and von Huene's book in Deutsch (I forget
its name) were the other great volumes. They almost
made me pursue paleontology for a profession. It would
be wonderful to get some biographical information
about E.H. Colbert- is any available on the web? The
last book I saw of his- some time in the early 1990s
was revised version of Evolution of the Vertebrates
had still not adopted cladistics- any reason for this-
what were his view on this?

-Ekaterina

=====