From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: "Ray Stanford" <dinotracker@earthlink.net>; <a_ekaterina@yahoo.com>;
<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 8:31 AM
Subject: RE: A sad day in Paleontology

"...Colbert kept dinosaur science alive during the "dark ages" of the middle
decades of the 20th Century.  During that time he was one of only a handful
of researchers anywhere in the world who took dinosaur paleontology
seriously.  (Similar to Kuiper's place in the history of planetary
astronomy, during almost exactly the same time).

"His academic influence is felt throughout the vertebrate paleontological
community.  There are today Ph.D. students who are Colbert's student's
student's student's students.  (Tracing backwards, the students of Larry
Witmer (a student of Dave Weishampel (a student of Peter Dodson (a student
of John Ostrom (a student of Ned Colbert))))).

"Colbert worked with many of the luminaries of the latest 19th and early
20th
Century (Barbour, and especially H.F. Osborn).  His autobiography A
Fossil-Hunter's Notebook is great reading for people interested in the life
of this great guy."