RE: evolution of theropod wrist motion

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Tim
Williams
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 10:31 AM
To: tmk@dinosauricon.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: evolution of theropod wrist motion

How about this.  The hands of maniraptorans became dedicated to clasping
prey.  The forelimbs became accustomed to being used in tandem (as in the
flight stroke of birds).  In maniraptorans, both hands were used in
opposition to grasp ("clamp") the prey.  Think of dromaeosaurid arms as the
twin arms of a tongs.  In paravians (at least primitively) the sickle-claw
became a major instrument for dispatching prey - ably assisted, of course,
by the jaws and the clawed fingers (death by blood loss and/or suffocative
bite, etc).<<

And its better to catch things with two hands than one :)

I'm sure that's what the little league coach would say (I've never been in
little league, but that's what my soft ball team coach said).

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074