HYPAPOPHYSES & COMPSOGNATHIDS

Quick response to recent post from Nick L...

RE: nectar-feeding in alvarezsaurids?

> To the extent that nectar feeders and
> myrmecophages need to extend their tongues as far as possible into
> tight spaces to lap up food, they should look the same, so I guess the
> question is how they would differ; I'm not sure.

Obvious difference = nectar/pollen feeders are generally volant or
good at climbing (or both). Thus ant-eating for alvarezsaurids is
apparently more parsimonious.

>  Darren was mentioning hypapophyses a while back. I've been
> seeing these around a bit- a while back, I noticed some in
> Compsognathus and figured that might throw it in to Maniraptora, but
> then I noticed that some pretty damn large ones are present in a
> specimen of Allosaurus as well, along with Sinraptor of course...

I've certainly never said that hypapophyses were unique to
maniraptorans or anything - my only technical comments about them
(in the _Thecocoelurus_ MS) have yet to be published (in press). As
for _Compsognathus_, in my latest analyses I am not finding this as a
definite member of the Coelurosauria... Need to check the details that
result in this placement (and it may be that new info from
_Eotyrannus_ - which of course is integral to my analysis - is moving
other taxa around in the tetanuran tree). And I'm pretty confident that
Nick is right about the type specimen of _Sinosauropteryx_ being little
to do with _Compsognathus_.. the question is, when will this get
published?

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244
                                       www.palaeobiology.co.uk