RE: HYPAPOPHYSES & COMPSOGNATHIDS

Darren Naish wrote:

>Obvious difference = nectar/pollen feeders are generally volant or
>good at climbing (or both). Thus ant-eating for alvarezsaurids is
>apparently more parsimonious.

However, scansorial or volant behavior does not necessarily apply to
honey-eaters.  Even Winnie the Pooh can get his own honey.      ;-)

>I've certainly never said that hypapophyses were unique to
>maniraptorans or anything -

Drepanosaurids and crocodilians have 'em too.  I believe hypapophyses have
been associated with rapid extension of the neck - such as for lunges at
prey.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  I'm looking forward to my feathered
dinosaur tomorrow.

Tim