Re: Oviraptoridae back & forth

  I guess I should continue the trend of my replying to things oviraptorid in
nature ... heh heh.

Øyvind M. PAdron" (gorgosaur@hotmail.com) wrote:

<to my satisfaction i see that Ingenia and Oviraptor has been divided into two
new genera Khaan
and Citipati. But still there's a major difference between the skull that we
all know as
O_philoceratops (with the fancy crest) and the type (AMNH 6517). There is allso
a skull known as
O_philoceratops that is allmost identical to Rinchenia. Then I discover that
Rinchenia's gone back
into Oviraptor.>

  *Khaan* did not come out of any other taxon, as no material had ever been
referred to another
taxon. The material of *Citipati* has, however. *Khaan* is completely new.

  *Oviraptor philoceratops,* as I've said before, is properly resticted to the
type which has an
incomplete skull that appears to indicate a tall, caudally-extensive crest, as
in the other
species, *O. mongoliensis.* "Rinchenia" has never been formally named and based
on recent
publication of Clark, Norell, and Barsbold (on *Khaan* and *Citipati*) it will
likely never be.
There are not that many cranial differences between the two species. The proper
designation is
*Oviraptor mongoliensis.* The rostrally projecting crested skull (GI 100/42) is
closer to
*Citipati* than it is to *Oviraptor* (Clark et al., 2001, _JVP_ 20 (2)).

=====
Jaime A. Headden