Dinosaur Genera List Update #179

In a message dated 11/19/01 8:34:46 AM EST, mike@tecc.co.uk writes:

<< It just occurred to me that you might like to rethink the subject lines of
these emails: in calling them "DGL corrections" you could be construed as
implying that there was something wrong with the previous version -- which
there wasn't, of course, it just didn't have the new information because it
hadn't been published.  I wonder whether these messages might be better
described as "DGL amendment" or "DGL update"? >>

Consider it done, Mike. From now on, they're Dinosaur Genera List Updates.

>From Alessandro Marisa, concerning the latest issue of Canadian Journal of
Earth Sciences (December 2001), which contains no less than five papers on
Asiatic dinosaurs:

Vickaryous M.K., Russell A.P., Currie P.J. & Zhao X.J 2001. "A new
ankylosaurid (Dinosauria: Ankylosauria) from the Lower Cretaceous of China,
with comments on ankylosaurian relationships," pp. 1767-1780.

The authors describe the new genus and species Gobisaurus domoculus known
from a nearly complete skeleton that closely resembles Shamosaurus scutatus
but distinguished by the unfused basipterygoid-pterygoid contact and elongate
premaxillary processes of the vomers. The phylogenetic analysis placed
Gobisaurus domoculus as the sister taxon to Shamosaurus scutatus.

This doesn't add a new name to the DGL but does change the status of
Gobisaurus from nomen nudum to the following:

Gobisaurus Vickaryous, A. P. Russell, Currie & Zhao, 2001

This also changes the listing of Gobisaurus in the table of Asiatic dinosaurs
in Mesozoic Meanderings #3 to the following:

Gobisaurus Vickaryous, A. P. Russell, Currie & Zhao, 2001
    = Gobisaurus Spinar, Currie & Sovak, 1994 [nomen nudum]
    G. domoculus Vickaryous, A. P. Russell, Currie & Zhao, 2001â
NOTE: This generic name first appeared in a children's dinosaur book in 1994.

I also made a few minor cosmetic changes to the DGL.

The Dinosaur Genera List is at URL

http://members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/dinolist.html