A Sad Day

To echo Dan Varner's eloquent comments on the passing of Ned Colbert, what a
loss indeed....his enthusiasm and love for our science, his energy and
masterful skills as a writer as well as his discoveries and research all
contributed enormously to dinosaur paleontology and kept it in the public
interest, when that interest languished in the '40's and '50's. His 1954 The
Dinosaur Book was my greatest literary treasure as a child, and one which
shaped my first and for many years most vivid images of how these creatures
lived. Like many others, I count myself fortunate to have met and chatted
with him and his lovely wife, Margaret. What wonderful gifts he gave to
paleontology, and to us all!

Mark Hallett