Re: Pterosaur Help

Michael Hanson (mhanson54@home.com) wrote:

<Now I have 46 species excluding misspellings and including junior and senior
subjective synonyms!
But I still have O. wiedenrothi, O. cuvieri, and O. validus. I still need
Nyctosaurus,
Rhamphorhynchus, Scaphognathus, Cycnorhamphus, Dimorphodon, Tupuxuara, and
Campylognathoides. I
could also use information on Dorygnathus, Tupuxuara and Domeykodactylus. Could
O. validus be a
senior subjective synonym of Doratorhynchus?>

  You may want to get your hands on Wellnhofer's _Illustrated Encyclopedia of
Pterosaurs_ (also
published as _... Encyc. of Flying Reptiles_). It lists most species and
citations for them of
pterosaurs. Also, Mike Keesey's website http://www.dinosauricon.com has a
section on pterosaurs
where the species are listed (again, most of them) and the citations are
offered, in part. Mike is
working on a more complete bibliography. You may also check out the online
Bibliography of Fossil
Vertebrates, which can be reached via http://www.vertpaleo.org, and on the
upper left orange bar
of the home page. That site will render you the full citation for most
publications listed with
the dates, generally 1600--1954, and 1980--1994, and John Damuth is working on
getting it more
recently updated. Fortunately, most of the taxa you are enquiring about were
described in the
1880's. As Dave Peter's website is down, more recent full citations are not so
freely available,
but that's when the list can help you.

=====
Jaime A. Headden