RE: Pterosaur Help

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Fabio Marco Dalla Vecchia
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 10:12 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Pterosaur Help
59-66.

<<Family: RHAMPHORHYNCHIDAE (nom. emend. ex Rhamphorhynchae) Seeley, 1870
           Census: 12 genera (2 doubtful), 21 species (5 doubtful)

 DALLA VECCHIA, F. M., 2001, Triassic pterosaurs: unravelling the puzzle.
Two hundred years of Pterosaurs - A symposium on the anatomy, evolution,
palaeobiology and environments of Mesozoic Flyng Reptiles, Tolouse, France,
September 5-8, 2001. Strata, 11 (Série 1): 33-35, Tolouse.

MY PAPERS ARE IN ENGLISH (REVIEWED), THUS YOU ARE NOT EXCUSED. <<
Well, if no one has seen your 2001 paper, it is excusable because we
wouldn't know what you said in it. I'd like a copy of the symposium volume
and I tried to contact someone before but got no reply. Could you remind me
again who to contact (if you can) so I can try again? Thanks.

<<Genus: [To be described from Cene, near Bergamo, Italy; Fraser & Unwin,
1990]>>

ABSOLUTELY NOT EXISTING.
Good to know.

The taxonomy of early pterosaurs is a mess. i suggest to be careful in
accepting as correct the descriptions you find in literature and to look
 A T  T H E  S P E C I M E N S!!!
Unfortunately, this is the main thing WE can do. IF we can't rely on the
authors whom can we rely on? How should we know if they are misleading us?
WE HAVE to rely on the authors to correctly identify what we are reading and
seeing. This includes making the illustrations as accurately as possible. WE
all can't travel the world, look at EVERY specimen, so we have to rely on
the written word. IF we can't rely on the written descriptions what good is
it to write them? Or even believe what is being written? Or for that matter,
what any scientist has to say?

If you need a list of references about pterosaurs, just ask it.

Fabio M. Dalla Vecchia

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074