RE: Rahonavis; sickle claws

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Tracy L. Ford
>
> Now that I have time to respond to some emails...
>
> Sharp does not equal a 'sickle claw'. The sickle claw of
> dromaeosaurids and
> troodontids are laterally compressed or are thin. Noasaurus's
> claw is nearly
> twice as wide for its size as is the claw of a dromaeosaurid. It
> is a THICK
> claw, more like a pes 3 or 4 than a 2. To be a sickle claw, the lower edge
> needs to be thin and nearly blade like, Noasaurus is not like this.

Good point!  _Noasaurus_'s claw is similar to pedal digit II in troodontids,
dromaeosaurids, and _Rahonavis_ in curvature and in the relative
relationship between the articular facet and the curve of the blade, but
Tracy is correct to point out that the base of the claw of the little
ceratosaur is very different from those maniraptorans.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite