Metatarsal traces

A question that I've had floating in my head since the summer, but only get
around to asking now, due to my laziness.
Metatarsal traces in dinosaur tracks appear occasionally, but vary, even
within a trackway, right? While I was contemplating this over the summer, I
realized that an animal making these tracks would look very odd, appearing
to bob up and down, as it varied between a plantigrade and digigrade
stance...hence my question.
Why would an animal vary it's mode of walking so much, even within sucha
short space? Are there any good ideas concerning this?
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
P.O. Box 20840