RE: Metatarsal traces

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Rob
Gay
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 11:18 PM
To: Dinosaur Mailing List
Subject: Re: Metatarsal traces

>     The best reasons I can think of for this sort of behavior would be the
need to increase the area of the animal's feet (think snowshoes) in very
muddy areas, and the use of crouching amid low-growing vegetation to conceal
a stalking predator.<
I've heard this theory before, I think by Glen Kuban (?), in relation to the
metatarsal traces in Texas...but it doesn't make too much since for
concealment, since It might crouch down on its left one step, and then put
it's right foot digigrade, which would seem to negate the hiding properties.
Traction does make sense, since you're only getting tracks in muddy, bad
traction places anyways...but the randomness and frequency...must be some
bad ground.

>     My $.02, if it's worth that much!<
:) at least you've got a good idea.
Peace,
Rob

Well, to put in my $.02...

As far as I know, the only really 'heal marks' are from squatting animals
that are sitting down. The other 'heal' marks more than likely come from the
animal walking through a really soft substrate. See the following article
for clarification.

Gatesy, S. M., Middleton K. M., Jenkins F. A. Jr., and Shubin N. H., 1999,
Three-dimensional preservation of foot movements in Triassic theropod
dinosaurs: Nature, v. 399, p. 141-144.
I don't they 'walked' on their heals. Unless of course birds do this then
anything can happen. What about ostrich's, emu's. Hmm, another thing to talk
to the people at the San Diego Zoo. Man I really need to talk to those
keepers...

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074