Re: Age of the Amur region, and the Horseshoe Canyon and Javelina formations (was: Re: Age of formations)

> > Javelina Formation material includes an incomplete parietal and a
> > postorbital horn core that resembles that of every other large
> > chasmosaurine.
>     So was I, for a long time, but Lehman wore me down on the TMM
parietal.
> In all fairness, it isn't really fantastic stuff, but to my eye the
parietal
> resembles Torosaurus a whole bunch. The horn core... well... Anyway, I'll
> defer to your judgement on that one.

I too agree that TMM 41480-1 is probably cf. Torosaurus sp. It's as thin as
any Torosaurus parietals I've seen.

>     BTW: There is more from the Javelina, but it isn't cranial so no one
> cares.

You caught me on that one--you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately,
chasmosaurine postcrania aren't terribly diagnostic (although I'm sure a
thorough comparison could very possibly turn up some good characters. I'm
just as guilty as every other ceratopsian worker when it comes to "head
hunting.").

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P404
501 East St. Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701

605-394-2816

andyfarke@hotmail.com