Re: ORNITHOCHEIRIDS 'RESOLVED' etc

Darren Naishe (darren.naish@port.ac.uk) wrote:

<since when are caprimulgiforms s.l. raptorial? I used the sensu lato because
of recent
suggestions that caprimulgiforms are paraphyletic, or that steatornithids are
not allied to other
caprimulgiforms - they have fallen out in a few recent super-trees with herons
and other
ciconiiforms.. but then I did say 'super-tree':)>

  My mistake for confusing caprimulgiforms in the aspect of raptorality as a
behavior. I was
referring to the inherent similarity of the pes compared to strigiforms, for
instance, and the
claws in some species are very highly recurved. That the birds are
ectopodactylous should have
warned me away! :)

=====
Jaime A. Headden