Re: A sad day in Paleontology

As the least among the least of the HPs on this list, I must confess that
I've been mourning Dr. Colbert's passing these past weeks.

In my pre-teen years, I pestered him with letters begging more and more
information regarding dinosaurs. He always personally, patiently and kindly,
wrote back, and I treasured his replies. I cannot count how many times as a
child I borrowed from the Frederick County, Maryland, library and pored over
and memorized his classic and enduring works. His wise responses to my
juvenile questions guided me into paleontological field work under the late
Richard Selton, Michigan State University, and helped shape my former career
in zoology.

When I first visited the American Museum of Natural History as a
nine-year-old, my long-suffering parents had physiccally to restrain me from
running off into the corridors in search of my hero, the great dinosaur
expert, Dr. Colbert.

I count myself fortunate as having been directly, so to speak, encouraged
and inspired by Edwin H. Colbert. As many have remarked and some have
published, he "lit so many candles."

I'd like to think that on that last day he was lecturing *me* personally,
but, in truth, his life and work embraces us all.

-= Tuck =-