re: Ornithocheirids resolved

Snappy Flappy Fans

<_Ornithocheirus_ has been described as the most tangled taxonomic
mess of all archosaur taxa.>

Too right! It took me months to compile the synonymy list and I had a stack of
filing cards a yard high.

< Remarkably, within the space of a few
weeks, it looks like most of the mess is going to be resolved - I've seen
Dave Unwin's in press MS on the Cambridge Greensand pterosaurs and
this sorts out a lot of the problems concerning the type material.>

Its out. Unwin, D. M. 2001. An overview of the pterosaur assemblage from the
Cambridge Greensand (Cretaceous) of Eastern England. Mitteilungen Museum für
Naturkunde Berlin, Geowissenschaftlichen Reihe, 4, 189-221.

Dave reaks havoc with his synonyschmeiser - more than 30 species reduced to
just 10 - wahoo!

<Furthermore, Dave Martill and Dino Frey now have their new crested
ornithocherid in press - again I have seen the MS and this provides
some new intriguing resolution of the _Ornithocheirus_ problem. No
doubt if Dave Unwin is reading this he will take umbridge...:)>

OK umbridge (umbridge? blimey, you spell worser than me), step over here. Dave
and Dino's crested Crato critter doesn't acherly have any direct impact on the
main Ornithocheirus problem. However, it does make things both clearer and more
complex in terms of relationships within Ornithocheiroidea - but you will have
to wait until at least next year to read the gory details on this.

<Also,
Michael Fastnacht has just published...

2001. First record of _Coloborhynchus_ (Pterosauria) from the
Santana Formation (Lower Cretaceous) of the Chapada do Araripe,
Brazil. _Palaontologische Zeitschrift_ 75, 23-36.>

Absolutely bang on target!

<This describes a new large specimen which has a particularly vicious
array of rostral teeth (we have a cast of it here at UOP - great fun to
play with) which helps to sort out the _Criorhynchus_-
_Coloborhynchus_-_Tropeognathus_ situation. Some of this will be
further resolved when the papers alluded to above come out.>

OK, try comparing Mike's fantastic Coloborhynchus robustus specimen with the
same bits of 'Anhanguera piscator' as described by Kellner and Campos (2000).
Interesting eh!

Right, I'm off to wrestle a well overdue 125 page MS into shape and bang
another clip into the synonyschmeiser. Keep your heads down, I think I've
figured out how the grenade launcher (takes out family level taxa from a
distance) works...

Rat a tat tat

Dave

PS, re the earlier threads on pterosaur origins and tracks. They are on the
list and I'll get around to commenting on them when I have more time - the
German President is coming round today so things are a bit busy!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Institut fur Palaontologie, MUSEUM FUR NATURKUNDE
Zentralinstitut der Humboldt-Universitat zu Berlin
Invalidenstrasse 43, D-10115 Berlin, GERMANY

Email: david.unwin@rz.hu-berlin.de

Telephone numbers:
0049 30 2093 8577 (office)
0049 30 2093 8862 (department secretary)
0049 30 2093 8868 (fax)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx