RE: perching Rahonavis

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of aspidel
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 4:08 AM
To: The Dinosaur Mailing List
Subject: perching Rahonavis

Hi dino-listers,

In http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/images/theropod_ancestry_of_birds.htm#B1 , Catherine A. Forster et al. tell us:

"The digits of the left foot of Rahona were found in articulation and show that digit I is reversed relative to the other digits, a configuration known only in birds."

Does it mean that _Rahonavis_ was capable of perching like extant birds, and much easily than _Archaeopteryx_?

Sure, why not. I don’t see why this flying dromaeosaurids couldn’t perch like it’s brothers (or am I getting ahead of my research?).

Tracy L. Ford

P. O. Box 1171

Poway Ca  92074

PS. My dino.hunter@home.com account may go off line because of the Excite debacle. If it does I’ll have to switch back to my old account, which I still have.